Date: Saturday April 25, 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM
Subject: A guided walking tour of Lake View Cemetery
Place: Lake View Cemetery Tour - 12316 Euclid Ave., or Mayfield Rd & Kenilworth Rd. entrance.
Founded in 1869 Lake View Cemetery has 285 acres that are a treasure chest of discoveries in architecture, geology, sculpture, animal life and horticulture. Our 90 minute walking tour starts at the Garfield Memorial. Parking is available across the road from the Garfield Memorial. The tour will include visits inside both the Wade Memorial Chapel and the Garfield Memorial. The James A. Garfield Memorial is the final resting place of the 20th President of the United States and was completed in 1890. The Wade Chapel was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany and the Tiffany Studios in NY. It is one of only a handful of buildings left in the world that are classified as "total Tiffany interiors". It was begun in 1898 and completed in 1901. We will also visit the graves of Charles Francis Brush, John Long Severance, John Milton Hay and John Davison Rockefeller, Sr. just to name a few of the famous and infamous buried in Lake View. Comfortable shoes are a must.
Directions: Meet on the outdoor balcony of the Garfield Memorial.
Enjoy a Springtime Daffodil Hill Walk on your own.
Please RSVP reservations to Sarah Klann at (216) 226-2820 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 20.
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM
Subject: Cleveland's Sister High Level Bridges
Speakers: William Vermes, Senior Engineer, CONSOR Engineers,
LLC Dario Gasparini, Professor Emeritus of Civil Engineering, CWRU
Place: Shaker Heights Public Library, Main Branch, Room E
Although separated by only about 10 years in construction date, the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge (1932) and the Main Avenue Bridge (1939) are remarkably different not only in terms of architectural design and engineering but also in the historical and political contexts in which they were built. Mr. Vermes and Professor Gasparini will talk about these remarkable structures and how the construction of these two, high level bridges came to fruition. This program is co-sponsored by the Shaker Heights Public Library.
Directions: 16500 Van Aken Boulevard, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120. The library is located on the southwest corner of Van Aken Boulevard and Lee Road (enter parking lot from Lee Road).
RSVP reservations to Sarah Klann at (216) 226-2820 or email email@example.com by Wednesday, May 13.
A SPECIAL INVITATION WILL BE SENT TO MEMBERS IN MAY WITH INFORMATION, DIRECTIONS, RESERVATION FORM AND COST FOR THIS VISIT
Date: Saturday June 20, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Subject: The newly restored Robins Theater, lunch at the Warren Women's Club, the Harriet Taylor Upton House and the Women's Park.
Place: Downtown Warren, OH, the county seat of the Western Reserve in 1798 and the county seat of Trumbull County in 1801.
The Robins Theater opened on January 9, 1923. It was designed by C Howard Crane and I J Goldston and built for a cost of $300,000.00. The façade is Italian Renaissance in style and the interior Adam style. It closed in 1974 and following a $5,000,000.00 two year restoration reopened in January 2020. The tour will begin at 10:00 AM.
The Warren Women's Club founded in 1947 purchased the 1895 Tryon Dunham house in 1969. The club hosts fund raising events and donates the profits to various charities. The colonial revival house is located on one of Warren's better downtown residential streets in the early 19th century and will be the site of our lunch.
The Harriet Taylor Upton House was completed in 1840 with an Egyptian Revival interior and served as the headquarters for the National American Women's Suffrage Association from in 1903 while Ms Upton was the treasurer. It was saved from demolition in 1989 and has become a popular venue for community events. The Women's Park was an Ohio Bicentennial project of the Upton Association on the grounds of the City Hall across the street.