PURPOSE
Western Reserve Architectural Historians was founded in 1965 to provide an opportunity for persons from all professions and backgrounds to meet regularly so that they might understand and enjoy the region's architectural heritage.  At least six times a year, through walking tours, on-site visits, lectures, and discussions, WRAH members explore the notable, unusual, and significant in the built environment.
WESTERN RESERVE ARCHITECTURAL HISTORIANS

CLEVELAND, OHIO

A Chapter of the SOCIETY of ARCHITECTURAL HISTORIANS

October 8, 2017, A Members Only Visit to a Mid-century Modern Home in the Chagrin Valley
An autumn buffet of tasty treats was served to 25 WRAH members
Mr. Morris told many interesting stories about  the history of the house
Our Special guest was William B. Morris AIA, the architect of the Greenblatt home (seated)
Home owner Ilene Greenblatt guided the members through the house, discussing the changes to the interior (second from right)
The sunken living room has a vista to the Chagrin River
The house was built on piers because of its proximity to the nearby river
Nature was as near as the closest sliding door
Large scale artworks were prominent in every room
Sunday, November 5, 2017 we toured
The Easterly Wastewater Treatment Plant
of Cleveland

We met at the Administration Building, Easterly Wastewater Treatment Plant, located on the shore of Lake Erie
Our guide and speaker was Dan Smith, Assistant Supervisor of Operations for the plant
Our group stops for a photo on this hard-hat tour
The site covers 105 acres and can treat 400 million gallons of raw sewage daily
Treatment occurs both under roof and outside
A cold drizzle did not deter WRAH members from enjoying this special tour
Sunday, February 25, 2018 we toured the Children's Museum of Cleveland located in the newly renovated
Historical Stager-Beckwith Mansion

Erected in 1866 as a private home on Cleveland's Millionares' Row, it remains a relic of Cleveland's past grandeur
Thirty two WRAH members started the tour on the first floor
A fourth floor view from the turret facing east
A dollhouse model of the Stager-Beckwith Mansion was built and donated by Kathy Lincoln. The second floor features a collection of dollhouses and dolls.
Water, water, everywhere and fun for the WRAH members
Colorfull scarves shot through plastic tubes and were ejected from unexpected places high above us
Kelsey Tarace, Director of Education, left, thanked us for coming and reviewed upcoming plans in the snack  bar
The group gathered to rest as we finished our tour of the new Cleveland Children's Museum
Saturday, November 18, 2017 We met at the Cleveland Public Library to learn about the Great Lakes Exposition of 1936-1937
Thanks to Pam Eyerdam for displaying items from the Exposition in the collection of the Cleveland Public Library
The speaker was Steven Rugare, Associate Professor, KSU School of Architecture and Evironmental Design
Members and guests enjoyed the history and toured the Great Lakes Exposition via PowerPoint
Sunday, April 22, 2018 we met at the Rocky River Public Library to hear  Laura DeMarco, Author and Plain Dealer  writer discussed her book, Lost Cleveland. We also toured the Cowan Pottery Museum with Lauren Hansgen, Curator.
WRAH President Sarah Klann presents the 2018 Book Award to Laura DeMarco for Lost Cleveland
The cover of the award winning book
We adjourned to the Cowan Pottery Museum incorporated in the main rooms of the Rocky River Public Library
A tile mural entitled "Egyptian Maidens" was created in a limited edition of five in 1930 at the Cowan Pottery and now resides in the entrance to the Library
Laura reviewed Cleveland's interesting architectural and cultural past that has disappeared
Loren Hantsgen, Curator, second from left, discussed the history and artifacts in the collection.
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 we toured The Starr Mansion and The Hickories at the Lorain County History Center in Elyria.  
The Hickories
The Horace C Starr House
The Lorain County Historical Society has preserved two nineteenth-century mansions in Elyria: The Horace Starr House and The Hickories. Both structures are located on Washington Avenue, once the "Euclid Avenue" of Elyria. The Italianate-Style Starr House, built in 1857, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and houses offices of the historical society, seven galleries, a research library, and a gift shop. The Hickories, constructed in 1895 by Arthur Garford, is a Richardsonian Romanesque and Shingle-Style home with Tiffany-inspired windows, six fireplaces, a private chapel, and magnificent oak, cherry, and mahogany woodwork.
Professor Elwin Robison showed various Mormon Temples and how they related to the Kirtland Temple
Friday, May 25, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.  The Kirtland Temple, Professor Elwin Robison, PhD
The 1836 temple was built with local stone and lumber by the Kirtland Mormon community based on visions described by their leaders.  It was one of the largest edifices in the Western Reserve at the time and a prominent landmark.

A visit to the Kirtland Temple is always an inspirational look into the lives of the early Western Reserve Mormons