Western Reserve Architectural Historians was founded in 1965 to provide an opportunity for persons from all professions and backgrounds to meet regularly so that they might understand and enjoy the region's architectural heritage. At least six times a year, through walking tours, on-site visits, lectures, and discussions, WRAH members explore the notable, unusual, and significant in the built environment.
On Sunday, November 11, 2012 we visited
Saint Casimir Roman Catholic Church
Built in 1918, St. Casimir was closed by the Diocese of Cleveland in 2009. It was reopened in 2012 after a successful appeal to the Vatican.
Interior view from the Organ Loft
The Congregation was celebrating the reopening of the church, this young man and young lady were clothed in traditional Polish garb.
The group gathers in the organ loft to view the historic pipe organ
Pastor Orzech points out details of the magnificent front altar
The group views a valuable ceramic Pieta.
On Sunday, November 17, 2013 we visited
The College Club of Cleveland
WRAH Members and Guests outside the 1903 Arts and Crafts Mansion, designed for William & Lida Alexander by Franklen Meade and Abram Garfield. the building was purchased in 1951 by the College Club of Cleveland and has been their home since 2007.
Founded in 1898 for college educated women, membership is now open to any individual with more than two years of college.
Our Guide, Jill Jefferis, shows off some of the College Club Collection
The Tour examines the Arts and Crafts Parlor
Moving up the Grand Staircase
The Mansion is known for its leaded glass windows.
March 16, 2014, visit to The Presbyterian Church of the Covenant in University Circle, designed by Ralph Adams Cram in 1909, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Our guide describes the key architectural features of the interior of the Church of the Covenant
The main altar was carved in Cleveland, including this beatiful Nativity Panel
A Gothic style screen created by Rose Iron Works
New lighting was installed in the style of the original fixtures during the most recent renovation
The neo-Gothic style extends to the organ keyboard
On Saturday April 14, 2014, we visited Nela Park, The
historical R & D center for the General Electric Corporation
The group was treated to a slide show of the history of General Electric and the construction of Nela Park Starting in 1911 by Mary Beth Gotti
The 90 acre fenced property has its own herd of deer grazing on the NELA Park campus
The "Triumph of Light", the stooping figures represent darkness, the erect figures, light.
Part of the WRAH group led by David Korow, pauses for a picture in front of the Lighting Institute and the fountain.
The original front exit gate on Terrace Road
Sarah Klann, WRAH President, welcomes members, old and new, to this special event